RRHX - Michigan Railroad History
[ Post a Response | RRHX - Michigan Railroad History ]
Re: Which Michigan Island had rail service?
Technically the Keweenaw Peninsula in the U.P. has been an “island” since 1874, when the north end of the Portage Lake Ship Canal was completed to connect the west end of Portage Lake into Lake Superior. This man made canal effectively isolated Keweenaw County and the north portion of Houghton County from the rest of the UP. The only physical connection to the Keweenaw since 1874 has been one of several bridges between Houghton and Hancock.
This would make the Mineral Range, Copper Range, Quincy & Torch Lake, C&H, interurban, and any other railroads and their successors located north of Hancock operating on an “island”.