This modest farmhouse was built circa 1907 to replace an older house that had been destroyed by fire. The earlier house and the 1-1/8-acre property on which it stood had been sold in 1904 to Franklin Pierce, a black railroad worker from Virginia. Pierce had this house built to replace the one that burned, and in it he raised his large family. Several of his sons worked with him on the railroad, while his wife and their daughter-in-law took in laundry at home. It is still owned by Franklin Pierce's descendants.
You can find information about this property, and others like it in "African-American Heritage Survey", M-NCPPC 1996, available at the PGCHS library, and at many branches of the County Library system.
Susan G. Pearl, Historian
: Does anybody have any information
: about the old grey farm house on Goodluck
: The farm house located
: 97th ave and 100 ave.
For problems or questions regarding the PGCHS site or message board contact webmaster(at)pghistory.org
For more information about PGCHS, contact info(at)pghistory.org.