Sanborn Map 1950
The following is from The City of Zilwaukee web page
THE OLD DEPOT
The old depot, which was built in 1861 by the Saginaw Jackson & Lansing Railroad, sat on Lot No. 5 in Block 32 in the village of Zilwaukee.
The railraod was fully completed on January 7, 1868, and went directly through Zilwaukee, from Chicago to Wenona (West Bay City). Townspeople had a special election to aid the railroad by way of a $5,000 bond issue. One of the stipulations of the deal was that the railroad was to construct in Zilwaukee suitable freight and passenger depots. The township board, accordingly, refused to access the taxes necessary to redeem the bonds. The litigation reached the State Supreme Court which handed down a judgement against the township in March, 1875. In conjunction with their vote for the bond issue, voters decided that the railroad should pass through Westervelt Street in the village. The vote was divided: 41 voters favoring Westervelt, and 28 favoring Adams Street.
In the late 1860s, the Flint and Pere Marquette Railroad built a short branch line to Zilwaukee from the west end of the Genessee Street bridge in Saginaw. Now the growing community possessed passenger and freight service to all parts of the United States. The products of its sawmills and salt blocks could be sped by rail to the north, south, east and west.
In 1894, the Interurban Electric Line was completed through Zilwaukee from Saginaw to Bay City. Built largely with the capital of Isaac Bearinger, the 15 mile road cost more than $500,000 to complete. It gave Zilwaukee villagers swift access to their neighboring cities to the south and north, Saginaw and Bay City. Round-trip fare from Saginaw to Bay City was 25 cents, or one-way for 15 cents. The road was sold in 1898 to the Saginaw Valley Traction Company.
In 1931, Michigan Center discontinued its Zilwaukee operation of the station. A man by the name of Van Scooter was the last passenger when it closed.
« Back to index