Ministers consider a law for free speech after Sussex ruling
User logged in as Susan T
Ministers are considering changing the law to protect free speech after the Appeal Court ruled in favour of the Duchess of Sussex in a privacy dispute against The Mail on Sunday.
Downing Street said publicly yesterday that ministers would ‘study closely’ a ruling which upheld the High Court’s decision that Meghan had a ‘reasonable expectation of privacy’ over a letter written to her estranged father Thomas Markle.
But senior figures in Government went further and told the Daily Mail that a change in the law may now be needed to redress the balance between the competing rights of privacy and free speech.
Link: Daily Mail
Message Thread | This response ↓|
- December 4 - Sussex Thread - Susan T December 3, 2021, 5:26 pm
- Ministers consider a law for free speech after Sussex ruling - Susan T December 3, 2021, 5:27 pm
- Why Catherine Cried - Susan T December 3, 2021, 10:14 pm
- Sarah Vine: An insight into the difference between the brothers - Martha December 5, 2021, 9:30 am
- Harry's swipe at Charles' Saudi donor - Susan T December 5, 2021, 6:21 pm
- Harry says quitting work can be good for your mental health - Susan T December 6, 2021, 10:08 am
- HG Tudor - Susan T December 6, 2021, 10:37 am
- Not HG Tudor,but still fun. - Hollie24 December 6, 2021, 5:02 pm
« Back to index | View thread »