1) why would he go to UCSB of all places, because he sees that Norris gets to shoot a 3 on pick and pops, lol? play for that pyscho Pasterdick
2) I agree Polynice has a very good looking form from 3, his form is definitely pro material if he can nail it and refine it more, and he has only a couple of poor ones (too early in clock or whaterver) from what I've seen. it's beautiful when he shoots it.
3) He's only hitting 24% this year, so not that great, but not a great sample size either
4) Last year he hit 35%, not 40%, that's marked difference, 40% would actually be superb
5) as to Monson, I agree, I don't get why Monson is so entrenched on not letting Bigs shoot 3s (if they take good ones and can hit)
TJ his junior year hit 33% and a number, not bad, not elite, but not a bad shot. TJ his senior year took...ZERO, so he was told to not take 3s and TJ was very coachable, but I don't get that, Tj one would think could have improved (like LAX did, LAX wasn't a good 3 shooter at all until senior year), to be a threat and especially that team could have benefited from an extra weapon
AT is the one I'm more concerned about. I'm 99% sure by teh body language and pauses AT has when he's open or wide open for a good look at 3, that he's been told to NOT TAKE THE SHOT. I just don't get it. I get it if AT was a proven 20% shoooter like Tone (who seems to have a green light) a 27% shooter liek Tsohonis (who has a green light), or even a 24% shooter like Chance. But no, AT's limited shots have looked great, he's now 3-8 on limited shooting, but how can he take it confidently with Monson telling him flat out no
that's not the way the game is played now, if a guy can hit 33-40% range, f'n they should shoot it IF they are square and in a rhythm of offense vs. a jack-up
it's one of the reasons MOnson has to go, it's not just cauae that shot is taken regularly in the NBA by the RIGHT big, the metrics show it's a very good % shot of course with a very good % shooter.
5) as to back to the basket, Chance does need to learn to play back to the basket as well, be a shot changer defensively, use his left hand in side, all those things, just don't think he should be pigeon-holed to not taking a 3, and he has some positive (not 40% though) history with that shot. Beach is a great spot for that back to basket game as well, it's still needed in teh pros to finish inside
6) Polynice's prior JUCO team is actually undefeated this year without Polynice.
7) would be interesting to see a line-up with AT, LT, Chance or Stroud, Jones, and AJ - man they could be suffocating in my opinion although the ball-handling might be tough, but that team would have length like we've never seen - I think Jones/AT/AJ could actually handle teh ball ok
8) hope Polynice stays, he might be seeing potential limitations based on LT and Stroud this year but that shouldn't bother him, he's got talent and hopefully Caveness and Carey can get in Monson's ear about absolute instructions for bigs not to shoot 3, there is NO one rule fits all in the modern game
I hope Polyneice gets playing time, he was hitting 40% on 3's at Southern Idaho. Monson makes him have his back to the board instead of shooting 3's. Polyneice might be on his way out after the season, maybe to UCSB, if things don't change.
really banged up, time to show no mercy, and pressure the heck out of SB
Santa Barbara is in a bit of a free fall
after they beat us, looked like almost a sure #1 seed
now they are trying to just remain a higher seed
if Beach beats them, they are even looking at potentially a 6 or so seed
they have a couple of injuries, so may be a bit short handed again, it's a real suck-it-up time game for them, having lost at home to Irvine and Fullerton
of course, we are no slouches right now when it comes to being a little bit 'desperate', but not there yet. we do hold tie-breakers over Full and Davis for the moment.
we've been outrebounded twice (and Riv & Haw are the most physical interior teams next to us), but do need to shore up the block-outs
the Beach strategy is all just a bit odd in terms of our personnel and what we excel at
we run at a fast pace, yet we don't have a great point guard that fast paced teams usually have - the rebounding should trigger that
we don't shoot 3s often (and until lately, well) which again fast paced teams usually will shoot more 3s
pick n roll defense. AJ Mitchell just picked us apart at the Pyramid, and we looked not so good vs. Haw & Riverside. Again, teams will get LT to come to the top of the key, so not sure what CDM can or will do about it
a) get better at hedging/trapping! lol, we'll so far no
b) play zone. just probably don't want to do that a lot, HOWEVER, JP of Santa Barbara is NOT a good outside shooter
c) we can't leave Norris open like we did Hepa, he picks and pops and shoots the 3 well.
d) not sure what the coaches will do, guarding pick n rolls is not LT's forte, but if we play man to man, the scouting reports at this point don't lie. definitely do NOT put LT on Norris, Kelley can't shoot the 3, so LT will guard hiim
this isn't some 'must-win' game
to me, I'd really like to see Rotegaard get some touches for shots
the strength is our bench is pretty good, IMO (Stroud, Hunter, Rotegaard, Polynice) so it's time to put a lot of pressure on SB for 40 minutes. Hunter at least has been working his butt off defensively, even if he's got Turnover-ites
offensively, as stated ad nauseum, get in Tsahonis ear to pass teh f'ing ball, in order to get it back; get AJ, Jones, Stroud, Rotegaard touches. he really needs to concentrate on D and boards and not worry about scoring, we know he can score or get a shot off....IF NEEDED
« Back to index