It states that it will go into effect in Fall 2023. That would seem to apply to current students?
while I didn't specifically say vote, I meant support the increase via the survey response.
however, reading the survey, they've set it up so it's not really asking student sif they actually want the fee or not, lol.
have to say it's set up for a successful outcome, unless students band together in responses to tell admin that athletics just don't matter.
definitely something that would help for targeting those that attend, greeks, and residential hall students.
Since the fee increase is only for future students there will not be a vote by current students. For the entire student body the fee increase will take four or so years to be fully implemented.
1) The Reality of Student Survey. the Students WILL NOT APPROVE (or provide feedback to the effect) of INCREASING Fees. Ain't gonna happen. Over 45 years, including when I was a student (or taxpayer), if someone asks for a fee increase, the answer is a resounding NO, and 40,000 students (or whatever subset) are not going to answer a survey yes, unless there is some driven student organization generating ballots to the contrary. Unless the survey specifically can point to a CLEAR BENEFIT to them.
Doesn't matter if it's $40 or $400
PLUS, it's more likely to generate organized opposition than to generate organized support
2) Given that, the key issue is what happens leading up to and FOLLOWING the Survey and how it gets used by Admin. If Admin simply says, "Well the students don't want it" then that may be that.
If Admin says they've taken the survey into account and approve it anyway, they'll get some amount of negative feedback "You don't listen to us and are shoving this down our throats and we can't afford another dollar" and possible protests, which no admin wants.
3) Assuming the outcome of approving is desired, then what Alumni / Community does is maybe only way to get it approved, while having admin take the 'flak'. This is where the AD & his marketing should take the lead with students and messaging. If not, it'll be a survey for the trash heap.
4) If the AD, student-athletes, ALum Assoc are not making a coordinated effort to at least make the case and prep for supporting Admin to give them cover for approviing it over a survey of students that WILL NOT support or OBJECT to this, and push this thru, it'll end up just being a survey.
5) Boosters and Alumni will support this! that's not the hard part. It's getting admin to support over very harsh objections by students, and creating a perception/consensus that it's positive and in consideration of students now and for their future.
« Back to index