1. (GOOD) I think our defense showed signs of being able to stop someone on 3rd down. Unlike in the past when it was heart wrenching to see opposing teams grind it out, making 3rd down after 3rd down. In this game a couple of lapses doomed them. (BAD) Twice the Spartans lost the outside contain, and it killed them. The one where Flowers hurdled (McKnight I think) just as an awesome athletic move.
2. Flowers made some nice throws but he DBs just have to step it up. I think they are capable of it. The majority of the teams in the Mountain West are better this year, so the Spartans will have button down their chin straps.
3. How about that Brandon Monroe?! 6 yards per. It's a shame how RC 8-balled his career. We still need Zamore and Malik of course, but Brandon will become very useful. He is also good catching the ball out of the backfield.
4. I think it was bit unfair for BB not hand the ball over to Montel at the start of the 2nd half. The Spartans had lost the momentum at the end of the 1st half, why not give it to the next guy? That would have been the fair way to make the evaluation.
5. We can actually rotate on the D-line!
Lastly, the Spartan did win won in one unrecorded statistic, and that's how many O-linemen our D-line sent to the bench. While our D-line came out of this game healthy for the most part, players the S Florida O-line were laid out on the field.
It shows that these young men on the D-line strengthened in the off-season.
Overall I give a grade of C, with the knowledge that they will be ready for Cal Poly, Texas, and Utah in the coming weeks.
LET"S SPARTAN UP!!!!!!!!!
« Back to index