1. Eugene Taylor and Sean Beacon look like they could be a force this year. They'll have to be 5x better against Stanford. I'll grant them 2,5x, hope it's good enough.
2. The new 3-4 looks like it may stop the quick hitters that have been plaguing the Spartans for years. Keith Smith is a stud, and Moses Saucedo wasn't bad either. Can't wait to see Christian Tago. If he's better than Moses, I'm comfortable with the new scheme.
3. The DBs and Ss look like they are solid enough, but need to get better.
Overall I give the D a grade of B, only becasue I know they will get better.
The offense was little shaky. I attribute that to nerves because the expectations were so high. Everyone expected Fales to throw for 400+ yrds. The receivers were not running great routes. They will be ready for Stanford, I hope.
1. Coach Caragher has to move Tyler Irving back to DB. He can be All-Mountain West 1st team. At his rate he'll waste his whole career on the sidelines with injuries.
2. Like I said on a previous post, exchange Tyler for Brandon Monroe. Groom Brandon to take over after Jason Simpson.
3. Jason Simpson reminds me of DeLeon. They both run too upright. He needs to drop his shoulders just a bit. I still see a promising season for him.
4. Jabari Carr is being lost in the shuffle. That's a good thing because the Spartans a stacked at WR. I hope he gets his reps.
5. The OL still has a ways to go to compete head-to-head with the top teams in the MWC. They had better reach down deep, very deep the rest of the season.
I give the overall grade of C to the team for this first game.
The Spartans will need a A+++ to beat Stanford. I hope they have it in them.
« Back to index