Message modified by board administrator May 25, 2012, 12:07 pm
The Chess'n Math Association 10th annual Ontario Girls' Chess Championship held this past Saturday, May 19th 2012 was great and exciting!
Thanks to many teachers, coaches and club organizers who helped promoting OGCC 2012 and made it a new record of 146 GIRLS. 21 players in Siblings and Friends tournament, 8 players in parents and Teachers tournament were all new records!
As always, the participants received medals, pizza lunch, snacks, and beautiful souvenir T-shirts.
Past and present Women's Olympiad members took an active role in organizing and helping with various activities throughout the day.
• Current Canadian Women's Champion, WIM Natalia Khoudgarian, took part in the award giving ceremony and played our girls and parents in a 12 board Simultaneous Exhibition.
• WIM Yuanling Yuan, Canada’s highest rated female player, took part in the award giving ceremony.
• WCM Yelizaveta Orlova participated in the tournament and presented the awards.
• WFM Hazel Smith, designed and prepared many of the side activities and prizes.
• WCM Jackie Peng, with Emile U (a player in OGCC 2003) ran the side activities.
Thanks to all the volunteers and referees, who were such a tremendous help in setting up and running the tournament.
Thanks to many of those on-site volunteers: parents and players.
Lunch and snack tables were continually prepared and run by Stephen and Anne year after year. Added to the crew this year were Megan and Michelle. All proceeds go to our (OGCC) 40th Canadian Chess Olympiad Team members.
Thanks to Larry Bevand who made the OGCC become a qualifier of the Ontario girls’ team. Champion of each grade from Grade 1 to 6 will represent Ontario to play Quebec’s top girls in Kingston on June 9.
We were impressed to see so many players and parents at the Awards Presentation. Your support, good sportsmanship and cheers were very much appreciated.
We hope that with our effort in one decade, the girls’ involvement in chess, not only at OGCC, will continue to grow.