Retired in 1961 when the railroad shut down, the locomotive was donated by the railroad's owners.
Displayed under an open shed roof and fenced, the locomotive appears to be in good condition.
According to Howard Noble, Pres. & Gen. Mgr. of the Cadillac & Lake City Railroad, #6 was the first choice for the C&LC. A consideration was #6 was reputed to be the final steam locomotive given a major overhaul at Pere Marquette's Wyoming back shop in Grand Rapids prior to converting to Diesel maintenance. The news article mentions the overhaul cost $9,000 in Dec, 1945 ($97,500 today).
The engine & tender may be moved on their own wheels over panel tracks to where cranes can lift them onto two trucks.
« Back to index