September 5, 1924
Application was filed with the Interstate Commerce Commission for the authority to abandon the River Branch from River Branch Junction to Grayling a distance of 76.83 miles. This was granted on July 1, 1925 under Interstate Commerce Commission Finance Docket No. 4304. This branch which was completed in 1910 did not produce the busines anticipated after the timber was cut, and geneeral farming in the area was not very successful. Furthermore, destruction by fire of the Buckley and Douglas saw mill at Manistee discouraged any further purchase of timber lands whereby the timber could be brought to Manistee for manufacturing purposes. At the time of abandonment the Michigan Central Railroad acquired a portion of the main line out of Grayling for a distance of 2.50 miles to Portage Junction, at which point a connection was made with the Portage Lake Branch to Rasmus, a distance of 3.37 miles to the Michigan National Guard Camp.
« Back to index