RRHX - Michigan Railroad History
[ Post a Response | RRHX - Michigan Railroad History ]
Re: Wellston, MI/Removal Date/Picture
Elba's second photo would be after the 1912 rebuild when the 1888 iron viaduct had its capacity doubled from a Cooper's E-25 to a E-50 rating. This was done by adding deck trusses under the original plate girders making them the top cord and adding two new columns to each bent. The new columns rested on concrete caps supported by 12-35 foot piles except the main span had 20 piles. The bridge was 75 foot high and 1,170 feet long with 14 tower spans each 30 foot long with 45 foot deck plate girders between towers. The river span was a 150 foot deck truss which was strengthened with a new deck truss placed midway between the old trusses. This method of strengthening a bridge originated with WT Curtis of the Wisconsin Bridge & Iron Co. and was first used on this project. The cost of $43,900.00 was about half what a new bridge would have been. The above information came from a 1913 Railway Age Gazette.