Foss Yard has two throught tracks that one turns south for Saginaw or continues east and crosses Pine St into the coal plant while the second track spots cars for Wirt and LaFarge and to the west switch off onto the swing bridge and continue northwest around the bend to numerous disconnected industry tracks and continue west to GM and Omnisource where it then crosses the Woodside Avenue swing bridge take the track across to the wye and old GTW yard between Henry and Marquette streets.
Foss yard presently has 4 additional stub tracks that branch off the #1 main track that are seldom used but may very soon change as trains are built for Saginaw bound.
This yard under Pere Marquette control up until the 1929 depression had three times as many tracks and interchanged with the Detroit & Mackinac and the Michigan Central NYC and handled freight that was set out for the DBC&W and the Essexville Sugar Beat Plant thats now long gone.
2/3 of the yard was pulled up and converted to tank farm for bulk retail fuel that was only in recent years removed after the major Rupp Oil Corp dock explosion and fire in the early 1980s.
This area was once a major rail hub for freight mere blocks away from the several passenger stations, DBC&W roundhouse and GTW roundhouse.
« Back to index