If both the sire and the dam are carriers, there is a 25% chance that the foal would be AFFECTED - which means it is doomed to a very painful life and death within the first 3 days or so of life. 50% of the foals from a sire and dam who are both CARRIERS of this Gene will be CARRIERS as well, while 25% will be CLEAR of the genetic disorder.
Up until about 12 - 13 years ago, there was no test for SCIDS, but now there is and it is a great tool to be used for those who breed Arabians - as well as part Arab horses - as they can be born with the SCID gene if one of its parents was a CARRIER!
Basically, you should not breed to CARRIERS to each other as the chances, even at 25% are just to great towards producing and AFFECTED foal - doomed to a horrid death.
Being a CARRIER does not mean that a stallion needs to be gelded or a mare never bred - they can be bred RESPONSIBLY to horses who are CLEAR of the gene and a foal will never be born again that is AFFECTED - but only IF when it becomes of breeding age, the owner does the responsible thing and TESTS the horse before breeding it.
Back in the 1950's when Abu Farwa was standing at stud, there were no tests to tell if both the sire and dam were CARRIERS or not, but there were reportedly enough foals produced by him, that died of SCID's like symptoms in their first 3 days of life, to implicate that he may well have been a CARRIER - and if so, the mares he was bred to were also CARRIERS.
Bottom line, if you know that one of the parents is a CARRIER - make certain before breeding that the horse being bred to that CARRIER is tested SCID's CLEAR! Oh... and no need to test geldings - their genetics aren't going any farther.
I also see that some of your information on past owners of Wahana likely came from the Arabian Horse DataSource. If that is so, then it is quite likely that the breeder and some of the owners are incorrect or missing. One such owner was a guy named Ralph McCutcheon - but he is not listed on the AHRA DataSource site. Breeder and ownership records prior to the mid 1970's backwards in time, can NOT be relied upon to be accurate. People are omitted and false data generated by who only knows who! There are people listed as having owned a given horse at its time of birth, when from various show records and information found in magazines, that person, may be the 5th - to 12th or more owner from the original. I have been documenting these errors in the research I have been doing. Show records often list the owner of a horse at the time it was shown. Some horses go through many different owners, while others one to just a few, but they years under the ownership may possibly be 10 or more before ever being sold on. Hence owner #3 who appears to have owned said horse from birth, may have never have seen the horse til shortly before they purchased it many years later.
In the case of Wahana - her dam is listed as being bred by James Draper and owned by GEORGE P AND ALVINA H SPONSEL 07-April-1935 - which is the date of Mahana's birth. If the ownership record is to be believed (and it isn't), then the Sponsel's should show up as Wahana's breeders! Afterall, the 'official records' have them as being Mahana's lifetime owners!
The information I have from a pretty reliable source wrote that Wahana's owner during the time of the show was actually: Ralph McCutcheon. It was also noted that Wahana was trained by Les Hilton for the show.
Anyhow, I hope this is of some help to you for information about Wahana.
to begining of message board
HORSE FAME contact
HORSE FAME home page